How to Apply
CLICK HERE to apply for WIC or request an appointment online
How do I Apply and Qualify for WIC Benefits?
In order to qualify for WIC benefits, please follow the steps below:
- Check the chart below for the income eligibility guidelines. Your household’s gross income must be at or below the amounts shown, based upon the size of your household.
- Pregnant women may count their unborn child as a household member.
- If you receive Medicaid, SNAP (Food Stamps), or TANF (Family Employment Program) your income already qualifies.
WIC Income Guidelines
Effective July 1, 2021 to June 30, 2022
|Household Size*||Annual||Monthly||Twice Monthly||Bi-Weekly||Weekly|
*Pregnant women count as 2 (mom and unborn child) when calculating household size.
- CLICK HERE to apply for WIC or request an appointment online. Or, you may call the nearest WIC clinic in the public health department for the county in which you live. The clinic will schedule you for the next available appointment to be certified to participate in the WIC program. Some clinics offer walk-in appointments. Please contact the clinic for more information. You can find locations and contact information by going to the Clinic Locations page.
- Please take the following items to your appointment:
- Proof of identity for yourself and each child to be certified, such as a Driver License, Medicaid Card, Birth Certificate, or Passport. If you cannot bring one of these forms of ID, the clinic can explain other acceptable forms if ID.
- Proof of address, such as a current utility bill with a street address (no P.O. boxes), or bring a rent or mortgage receipt. This is to verify you live in Utah and within the county served by the clinic.
- Proof of income for each household member who works. You must bring documentation such as pay statements showing your income for the last 30 days. If you receive Medicaid you may bring your Medicaid card as proof of income. You may also bring a letter from Workforce Services showing the amount you receive in SNAP benefits or the Family Employment Program.
- If you are employed, bring your most recent pay statements. If paid weekly, bring four pay statements. If paid every two weeks or twice a month, bring two pay statements.
- If your income is seasonal or fluctuates throughout the year; or if you are self employed, you may bring your most recent tax return.
- Electronic verification of income is allowed if you can show pay statements to clinic staff on your smart phone or other device.
- Immunization records for your children being certified.
- Don’t forget to bring your children to be certified!
- You will be asked to identify your race and ethnicity. This information is for record keeping purposes only and does not affect your eligibility.
- WIC will not ask about your immigration status. You do not need to be a legal resident of the U.S. to participate in WIC and receive food benefits.
- At the clinic:
- Your height and weight will be measured.
- A simple screening test of the amount of iron in your blood will be done. If you do not wish to have finger-stick test, some of our clinics have non-invasive methods for checking your iron. Ask the WIC staff for other options.
- You will meet with a WIC health professional who will discuss your health and nutrition with you. She will explain the reason you qualify for the program and what foods you will receive. She will also give you simple ideas to improve your family’s eating habits. Ask the WIC health professional any questions you might have. She is there to help you.
- You will receive an eWIC smart card (like a debit card) to purchase specific healthy foods at the grocery store. These cards may be redeemed at most stores in Utah. See our Authorized Vendor List.
- You will continue to have appointments at the WIC clinic about every three months to receive nutrition education and be issued additional food benefits.
Please watch the WIC Orientation Video below. If you have any questions contact your WIC clinic. We look forward to seeing you!
- USDA WIC Prescreening Tool
- Rights and Responsibilities
- Rights and Responsibilities (Spanish)
- Rights and Responsibilities (Other Languages)
- What to Bring to Certification Appointments
- WIC Outreach Handout
- WIC Outreach Handout (Spanish)
- WIC Outreach School Lunch
- WIC Outreach School Lunch (Spanish)