WIC Supports the 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines!
The Dietary Guidelines for Americans are designed to help you and your family eat a healthier diet. The current guidelines focus on the following:
A healthy eating pattern includes:
- A variety of vegetables from all of the subgroups—dark green, red and orange, legumes (beans and peas), starchy, and other
- Fruits, especially whole fruits
- Grains, at least half of which are whole grains
- Fat-free or low-fat dairy, including milk, yogurt, cheese, and/or fortified soy beverages
- A variety of protein foods, including seafood, lean meats and poultry, eggs, legumes (beans and peas), and nuts, seeds, and soy products
A healthy eating pattern limits:
- Saturated fats and trans fats, added sugars, and sodium
WIC offers one-on-one nutrition counseling sessions, group classes and web-based education. Qualified nutrition staff will coach you through making lifestyle changes. Our WIC nutrition staff can also discuss other health topics of your interest, such as:
- What’s the best first food for my baby?
- How can I lose weight after delivery?
- How can I help my child have a healthy weight?
- What foods should I avoid if I’m pregnant?
For answers to these and other questions, click on the different categories under “Nutrition Education”.